Disney Village Paris Fans

Disney Village Paris Fans

Thursday 8 September 2016

My Top 50 Florida Theme Park Attractions - Part 1

It's no secret, Florida is without doubt my favourite place in the world! There are so many things I love about Florida that it would take me a whole blog to tell you all about them. One of my most favourite things, however, is the parks. Nowhere else in the world even comes close when it comes to the theme parks in Florida. They're just so amazing, it's hard to put into words! One of my favourite things about the parks is easily their amazing attractions, whether it be rides or shows. After writing down many notes, I thought it would be fun to share with you all my top 50 attractions, including some past attractions. Shall we begin? Alrighty then!


50 - Splash Mountain, Magic Kingdom


Get ready to be soaked!

Now this one may come as a surprise that it's not higher on my list but to be honest, it doesn't even come close to my all time favourite attractions. Considering it's made my top 50 is still pretty good going though, as there were some attractions I didn't include on the list in favour of Splash Mountain. Anyway. This famous water ride is a downright classic, no doubt about that. It is classic Disney theming at its finest. It features stories, characters, and songs from the 1946 Disney film 'Song Of The South'. The most popular part of this ride is easily the big drop at the end, and you will most definitely get wet, very wet! I can also guarantee that you'll be singing 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah' at least once after riding Splash Mountain. It's definitely a great ride and is very easy to see why it's a favourite of so many, but for me personally, there are many better water rides than this one.


49 - Turtle Talk with Crush, Epcot



Woah dude, it's Crush!

What a pleasant surprise this one was when I first watched it in 2013. Having visited Florida many times before, in 2013, me and my mum wanted to try some attractions we'd never done before, Turtle Talk with Crush was one of them. Located at The Seas with Nemo & Friends in Epcot, Turtle Talk with Crush is a live interactive show with everyone's favourite chilled out turtle Crush, from the Pixar film 'Finding Nemo'. The technology behind this attraction is simply amazing. Watching Crush interact with yourself and the rest of the audience is just amazing. It's also an extremely funny show, so I really recommend it if you want a good laugh. It's definitely an attraction I'll be revisiting on the honeymoon next year!


48 - Shrek 4-D, Universal Studios



Shrek, Donkey and Gingy welcome you to Shrek 4-D!

Now I had to include this one on the list! Shrek 4-D is so much fun and quite nostalgic for me. I still remember being young when the first Shrek film came out. Shrek 4-D is a 3D theatre show with many interactive (4D) elements, including moving seats and quite a few surprises! It's good fun for all the family and I always watch it at least once on every visit to Florida.


47 - Spaceship Earth, Epcot



Spaceship Earth, in all it's momental glory.

Now this one you can't miss. Spaceship Earth is the icon of Epcot. Known as the 'giant golfball' to many people, a lot of first time visitors to Epcot don't even realise that Spaceship Earth actually is an attraction! Spaceship Earth is a gentle ride through the history of human communication, starting at the very begging of human existence with cavemen and ending with the communication of the future. Audio-animatronic characters tell the story of communication through the years. The visuals are simply stunning. One of the most breathtaking moments in my opinion is seeing Michelangelo painting the roof of the Sistine Chapel. It's a very gentle ride and definitely one of my favourite rides to sit down and relax on.


46 - The Blues Brothers Show, Universal Studios


"I'm a soul man!"

Universal Studios is easily one of my favourite parks because most of it's attractions are based on my favourite thing... the movies! Unsurprisingly, The Blues Brothers Show is based on the 1980 film 'The Blues Brothers', starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd. The Blues Brothers Show features two actors playing Jake and Elwood Blues, who perform classic rock and soul songs from the film. Some of the songs performed include Everybody Needs Somebody, Respect, Shake A Tail Feather, and Soul Man. This lively show is always guaranteed to get people dancing in the street, myself included. The show rarely changes, bar the actors and songs performed, but nonetheless it is a great show each time. If you love the film or just enjoy good music, then this is definitely the show for you.


45 - "it's a small world", Magic Kingdom



"It's a small world after all"

Now I'm sure everyone has heard of this one. This attraction is just a classic. I'll be honest. I know it's not exactly a very manly attraction to admit I like, but I suppose it's kind of a guilty pleasure. Despite loving thrill rides, I'm quite a sucker for gentle boat rides, and this is one of the best. You can't help but love singing along to "it's a small world" with all the little singing dolls from around the world. Mind you, I don't know if I could ride it more than a few times in one day, as that may drive me to insanity! Jokes aside though, the attraction has really stood the test of time and is a favourite for many visitors. I dare you to not sing the song after riding it though! It's nigh-on impossible!


44 - Studio Backlot Tour, Disney's Hollywood Studios



Catastrophe Canyon. Hold on to your seats!

Now this one summarised everything that the old Disney MGM Studios was about, the magic of making movies. Sadly now gone, this attraction was once a very big favourite of mine. The Studio Backlot Tour was a combination of a walking and tram tour of the parks backlot area. Highlights included the Catastrophe Canyon section, where guests experienced a live earthquake, and also the boneyard area, where guests could see old vehicles which had been used in many films, including cars from the 'Herbie' films and even the spaceship from 'Flight of the Navigator'. Perhaps the saddest thing with the Studio Backlot Tour was how Disney kept downscaling it through the years. Before it closed, it was almost a shadow of it's former self. Sadly Disney seem to be changing the whole premise of Disney MGM Studios, or Disney's Hollywood Studios as it is now known. It seems like the whole behind the scenes element of the park is disappearing year by year. Still though, I have many fond memories of the Studio Backlot Tour through the years, and it remains a favourite of mine.


43 - Animal Actors On Location, Universal Studios



Wait! Is that Marley from 'Marley and Me'? It sure is!

This show is pure fun, especially if you're an animal lover! Animal Actors On Location is a simple little show which features many animal stars from the world of film who perform little tricks and stunts for the audience. There is a lot of fun audience participation in this show, especially for the children. I have to say as an animal lover (especially dogs) it's amazing to see animals like one of the labradors from 'Marley and Me' and one of the pugs from the 'Men In Black' films. It's nothing spectacular but it's a very enjoyable show nonetheless. Also, watch out for the orangutang, who I guarantee will you have you in stitches!


42 - Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, Islands Of Adventure



You might want to wear a poncho for this one!

My first inclusion from Universal's Islands Of Adventure is a very fun ride indeed. I mentioned earlier that I had more favourable water rides than Splash Mountain, and Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls is one of them. To be fair, the ride itself is very similar to Splash Mountain, but for some reason, I just find Dudley Do Right's a lot more appealing. Although the cartoon character of Dudley Do Right isn't known to me (it's not very well known in the UK) I really love the theming of the ride, with all of the characters and music. The end drop is also very thrilling. At one point it even looks like you're flying off the track! This is a very enjoyable ride, proving you don't mind getting soaking wet! Mind you, in the Florida heat you're likely to dry off almost instantaneously!


41 - It's Tough To Be A Bug! Animal Kingdom



Lots of creepy crawlies in store here!

The first of only two attractions on the list from Disney's Animal Kingdom is the very fun It's Tough To Be A Bug! I've only ever been to Animal Kingdom once (which was a very long time ago) and to be honest, not an awful lot stood out for me. This show, however, was one of the things that stood out a lot for me. Situated at the base of the park's icon, The Tree Of Life, Flik from the Pixar film 'A Bug's Life' educates the audience about the life of bugs and why us humans should consider them as friends. The impressive 3D show features a lot of interactive elements, which are very effective, and also quite scary at times! There is also one of the most impressive audio-animatronics that I've ever seen in this show. Be careful as well, because you might feel something crawling under your seat, and let me tell you, I'll never forget that feeling! I honestly can't wait to experience this show on my second visit to Animal Kingdom. There are so many new things I'm looking forward to experiencing in Animal Kingdom but this is one I can't wait to go back to.


40 - Jurassic Park River Adventure, Islands Of Adventure



Ponchos at the ready. Good idea!

The theming on this attraction is nothing short of superb! The whole Jurassic Park area's theming is impressive to say the least and the area's main attraction is no different. This impressive water ride takes guests on a journey through the world of Jurassic Park but there's a big problem, one of the dinosaurs has gotten loose and is causing havoc! What will happen when we come face to face with this big dinosaur? You'll have to wait and find out. What I will say though is that there will be a very thrilling conclusion to your journey!


39 - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Magic Kingdom



Look out! It's Emperor Zurg!

Now this is another attraction that is pure nostalgia to me. Then again though, most of the attractions are nostalgic to me because a lot of them are based on films from my childhood. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is no exception. On this attraction, guests get to play against each other and try to hit as many targets as they can, to prove how worthy they are of becoming space rangers like Buzz. I guarantee this ride will make you show off your competitive streak. It's great fun trying to shoot all the different targets themed around the 'Toy Story' films. I'm still yet to get one of the highest scores on the attraction. Not that I'm trying or anything!


38 - Disaster! Universal Studios



I hope that tanker isn't going to crash into us!

Another attraction that is sadly no longer with us. Disaster! or Earthquake as it was originally known, was one of my favourite attractions at Universal Studios. It originally showed guests how the old 'Earthquake' film was created and even promised guests that they would experience a scene right out of the film, which they did, and to great effect! A little bit like the Catastrophe Canyon section at the old Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios, guests would end the attraction on a subway tram which would be stuck right in the middle of a full scale earthquake. The special effects were breathtaking! It's a real shame that the show has closed, despite getting revamped in it's final years as Disaster! It will be sorely missed by many, myself included.


37 - Kilimanjaro Safaris, Animal Kingdom



Amazing spectacles on the Kilimanjaro Safaris.

The last of my two inclusions from Animal Kingdom, Kilimanjaro Safaris, is one heck of an attraction! As the name suggests, guests enjoy a safari through the savanna of East Africa. The amount of genuine African wildlife for guests to see is simply amazing. The setting is also very stunning. Normally at an attraction like this at a theme park, guests would expect to see fences to show the size of an enclosure. Here though, there are no visible perimeters to show the size of the safari area, and let me tell you, it's massive! This is without doubt my favourite attraction that I remember from my one and only trip to Animal Kingdom. I can't wait to experience it again!


36 - Men In Black: Alien Attack, Universal Studios



I recognise those funny looking aliens!

Based on the popular sci-fi/comedy film series 'Men In Black' starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, Men In Black: Alien Attack allows guests to become trainee Men In Black agents who need to assist in killing as many aliens as possible in heart of New York City. It's a very similar premise to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, in that guests can try and get as many points as possible by shooting as many aliens as they can. The theming is very impressive here. The queue is just amazing and looks like it's come right out of the films. I'm a sucker for themed queues and this is one of the best. Apparently you can even go on a free tour of parts of the queue if you ask one of the Men In Black agents nicely, so I might just have to put that to the test next year!


35 - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Disney's Hollywood Studios



You have to admit, it's a stunning work of art!

Some of you may be surprised that this isn't higher on my list but don't get me wrong, I do love this attraction. Perhaps now known as Hollywood Studio's signature attraction (although I would give that title to The Great Movie Ride) Tower of Terror is one of the most recognisable attractions and perhaps one of the most photographed. The booming Hollywood Tower Hotel looks rather dilapidated on the outside and is no different inside. Queueing for this is as much an attraction as is the ride itself. I mentioned above that I love themed queues and Tower of Terror pretty much tops the lot. The haunted looking hotel definitely gives you the chills from the outside, even so more when you reach the inside of the queue, which I must say, is just stunning in terms of theming, even if it looks a bit dusty! The ride itself though, oh my, what a thrill! The story goes that many years ago the hotel got struck by lightning and in process, people mysteriously disappeared from one of the elevators, spooky right? Being the brave people us guests are, we are given the opportunity to the use the lift, hoping the same fate wont happen to us. However, our worse fears are confirmed when the lift goes hurtling up and down the lift shaft at a very fast pace! Will we survive? Well I'm here to tell you the tale, so that answers that question!


34 - E.T Adventure, Universal Studios



Aw, look at E.T. Isn't he cute?

The only original ride still standing at Universal Studios, I absolutely love this ride! E.T. Adventure allows guests to ride in the sky on bicycles with E.T. who needs to locate some missing friends in a planet, very very far away. Despite being a gentle ride, it is quite thrilling to ride in the sky on bicycles, just like out of the film 'E.T.' Considering it's not far off 30 years old, the attraction has aged really well and is a big favourite for many visitors. The ride features lots of wonderful visuals. The baby E.T.'s are especially cute! The queue for the ride takes place in a forest, just like out of the opening scene in the film. As it's the only opening day attraction still at the park, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this ride will stay with us for a very long time. Considering it is co-founder Steven Spielberg's favourite attraction, it is highly unlikely that it will be closing for a long time, so we should be okay!


33 - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! Disney's Hollywood Studios



Hey! Is that Harrison Ford?

The Indiana Jones film series has always been a favourite of mine. This show is a perfect tribute to the Indiana Jones films, in particular the first film 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. As the name suggests, this is a stunt show of epic proportions. A Harrison Ford lookalike/stuntman performs three different sequences from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. The first sequence is a tribute to the opening scene of the film, including the famous big boulder sequence. Directors and producers help inform the audience of how some of these stunts and special effects are accomplished. Let me tell you, you wouldn't believe how light the big boulder is! I wont give away the rest of the show but it is a great spectacle. I love the soundtrack to the show, which unsurprisingly is comprised of John Williams' fantastic score for the Indiana Jones films. Just like my love for themed queues, I'm a sucker for film scores too, and soundtracks in general really. I love all the music loops which play at the parks, especially throughout Disney's Hollywood Studios.


32 - The Simpsons Ride, Universal Studios



Who fancies a trip to Krustyland?

Now it's fair to say that The Simpsons Ride opened with a little bit of controversy. It wasn't the ride itself that was controversial, but the fact it had replaced a fan favourite attraction, Back To The Future: The Ride. Despite a lot of upset fans, I think it's fair to say that The Simpsons Ride was a worthy replacement. On the ride, guests take a trip into Krustyland theme park, but there's a problem, Simpsons villain Sideshow Bob is on the loose! Will The Simpsons family escape evil Bob's escapades? They sure can! With lots of surprises in store, you're guaranteed a fun time on this thrilling simulator experience.


31 - Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Disney's Hollywood Studios



You can literally feel the heat!

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show has recently closed, due to construction set to start in it's place for the upcoming Star Wars Land. I have to say I'm pretty gutted because it was one of my favourite shows to experience. I'm a typical guy who loves his action films, and to see thrilling car chases and stunts in front of your very own eyes was one hell of an amazing experience! I used to love the shows mini tribute to the 'Herbie' films. Anyone close to me knows that the 'Herbie' films are my favourite all time Disney films. I've always loved Herbie, the little Volkswagen Beetle with a mind of it's own. Sadly (to me anyway) they replaced the Herbie tribute section in favour of Lightning McQueen from the 'Cars' films. It's such a shame the stunt show had to close but I'm not too disappointed as Star Wars is one of my favourite things of all time, so the new land will be a very worthy replacement.


30 - Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Universal Studios



Me (the screaming blonde guy) and my friend George. Oh what fun we had!

Now this is a real thrill! Hollywood Rip Ride and Rockit is one of my favourite coasters for one big reason... the music! As far as I'm aware, this is the only rollercoaster where you can choose your own soundtrack. There are many different songs to choose from but I tend to stick with ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin' as that always gets me pumping! It is a very short ride at just under 1 minute and 40 seconds, and it really does fly by, but it's definitely worth it. The scariest part is definitely the vertical lift right at the beginning. You can really feel yourself falling back against the seat. Then your over the first drop and it's all systems go! The ride offers guests to buy a recording of their ride experience, including the song they chose. I've got a recording myself from a few years back. Well I look quite young anyway, so it must be a while back now! The video above is my experience on the ride. Despite looking terrified, me and my friend did enjoy it... honestly!


29 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Magic Kingdom



Welcome to the wildest ride in the wilderness!

This is the ultimate runaway train ride, no contest! Okay, I would argue that the version at Disneyland Paris is better, but that's primarily for it's theming, the ride itself is not much different. Without much of a plot, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad sends guests tearing around a pretty much abandoned mining town and through mines inside of the mountain. This is a very popular attraction and can be found in four of the Disney parks around the world. Interestingly, this is the only attraction which I have ever experienced a ride breakdown on at any park in Florida. It was a very fun experience as I got the chance to go behind the scenes inside the mountain and got free Fast Passes for another attraction of my choice. Funnily enough, I've experienced many more ride breakdowns since, but all at Disneyland Paris!


28 - Twister... Ride It Out, Universal Studios



"I'm Bill Paxton!"

Two things stand out for me with Twister... Ride It Out. Amazing special effects, and the legend that is Bill Paxton! This special effects show begins with a pre-show full of unintentional laughs from Bill Paxton, in an all too serious mood, dressed as his character from the movie 'Twister'. I'll never forget the last time I watched the pre-show segment with Bill Paxton. One American guy standing in front of me, turned to his friends and uttered the immortal lines "I'M BILL PAXTON!" The impression was just so spot on that I couldn't stop laughing to myself. It was also pleasing to know that I wasn't the only person to find Bill Paxton's over the top intro utterly hilarious. Anyway, Bill Paxton aside, the main portion of the show is the special effects segment. Guests are loaded into a drive-in theatre set, which is taken from a popular scene in the film. We witness a full scale twister in all it's glory, or as Bill Paxton would call it, "The finger of God!" The special effects are very very impressive and you really feel like you're experiencing a full scale tornado. Don't worry though, you're very safe! I should mention that this is sadly another attraction which has now closed. Believe it or not the attraction is being replaced by a Jimmy Fallon ride! I mean Jimmy Fallon? Come on! I'll have many fond memories of Twister... Ride It Out, and Mr Paxton of course.


27 - Blue Horizons, SeaWorld Orlando



Majestic dolphins. Love them!

The first inclusion from my favourite theme park in Florida, SeaWorld Orlando. I'll go into more detail as to why SeaWorld Orlando is my favourite theme park in Florida (well in the whole world) but you'll have to wait for part 2 to find out why. Blue Horizons is perhaps the most stunning of all the animal shows in SeaWorld Orlando. It is primarily a dolphins show but features acrobatics as well as hundreds of exotic birds. It's truly a wonderful spectacle. I don't want to give too much of the show away but there are some really impressive water stunts the trainers do with the dolphins in this show. It's definitely not my favourite animal show at SeaWorld Orlando but it's a very worthy contender!


26 - Muppet Vision 3D, Disney's Hollywood Studios



Kermit welcomes you to the show. Get ready for a lot of laughs!

What's not to love about this one? It's fantastic! There are so many jokes before you even sit down for the show that you're already crying with laughter! While queueing up for this show, just look at some of the posters and things written on the wall. Honestly, they're hilarious! Once inside the huge Muppets Theater, the real fun begins. Kermit the Frog and gang take us through a guided tour of Muppet Studios, where everyone is trying out their new tricks for the new 3D technology. Like I said, there are so many funny moments in this show, your body aches from the laughter afterwards. Fozzie Bear and a 3D custard pie swinging in front of your face, what could possibly go wrong? It's just good family fun at the end of the day and I love it! Luckily with all of the current expansions going on at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Muppet Vision 3D still remains, and looks like it will be here to stay for a very long time.


Well I hope you enjoyed reading numbers 50-26 of my favourite theme park attractions in Florida. It's been quite fun looking back at these, especially the ones which are no longer with us. Brings a tear to my eye! I must admit it's been pure nostalgia for me writing this but very enjoyable at the same time. Now on to part 2 to find out my top 25 theme park attractions in Florida, and that all important number 1!



No comments:

Post a Comment